carolinabookworm

carolinabookworm

Wildthorn

Wildthorn - Jane Eagland WILDTHORN is an engaging YA historical novel that drew me in right from the beginning. Louisa Cosgrove believes she is going to be a paid companion and governess for a wealthy family when everything takes a wrong turn and she ends up in Wildthorn insane asylum. She is an unusual girl in that she wants to be a doctor more than anything and women doctors were rare during this Victorian time period. In the first part of the book, the author provides flashbacks into what happened in the months and days leading up to Louisa's admittance to Wildthorn. I really enjoyed the way these flashbacks were woven into the plot and helped give more insight into her life in the days before. The suspense of who put Louisa in the asylum and if she would get out was very intriguing and kept me reading through all of the twists and turns in the storyline. I found Louisa to be an interesting character and liked her development throughout the book. The only negative thing for me was that the romance and happy ending felt rushed and a little unrealistic for the time period. Other than that, the writing style flowed very well and the author did a very good job of portraying the troubles women faced during that era. Overall, this was a satisfying book and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading historical fiction or young adult genres.

Note: I received a digital galley of this book from netGalley for review.